Churches in Putignano
Chiesa Matrice San Pietro
The church has a beautiful ogival portal, a large rose window and an impressive gabled façade, partly rebuilt in 1474 under a project of the architect Onnini. Of particular interest inside the building, which is deeply stratified, are: the statues of St. Sebastian and St. Peter, realized by Stefano da Putignano (the most famous Renaissance sculptor in Apulia); the painted wooden ceiling (1743); the massive organ, built in 1771 by Pietro De Simone from Bari; numerous paintings and a monumental crib in polychrome stone with XVIII century statues.
- Piazza Plebiscito - Putignano
Chiesa Rupestre Madonna delle Grazie
A few kilometres away from the town, in the middle of the countryside, you can visit the grotto dedicated to Our Lady of Grace, located in the homonym district. The cave was discovered by Deacon Girolamo De Miccolis, who made the access easier for the believers in order to start the celebration of the Masses. For this reason on the main portal, below a small niche with a statue of the Virgin, there is a plaque bearing the inscription " Ad honorem S. M. Virginia fecis Diaconum Hieronimus De Miccolis a.d. 1569". You can enter the cave through a wide staircase; on the back wall there is an altar dated 1656 on which there is a stone statue of “Madonna con Gesù Bambino fra le braccia”. In the side niches there are paintings of saints, unfortunately not identifiable because of the paint faded over the years; just in the niche on the right you can see the fresco portraying “Madonna e il Bambino Gesù”.
- Strada Comunale Mastricale, 39 - Putignano
Chiesa rupestre San Michele Arcangelo
It stands on a hill about 3 km from the town and from 912 to 1045, it first hosted Culniacensi monks, succeeded by Benedictine monks. Later in 1506, the Knights of Malta entrusted the Carmelites with the fief of Putignano, who embellished the site with decorations.By a wide staircase made up of thirty steps it is possible to enter the cave, dedicated to the cult of St. Michael the Archangel since the Xth century. On the altar there is an ancient fresco of the Crucifixion dating from the fifteenth century, flanked by two niches, one with a statue of the Archangel, by Stefano of Putignano (left) and the other with a fresco of the Madonna del Carmine, dating back to the sixteenth century (right). It was recently restored. This itinerary "The Way of the Angel” is a walking trip of 2859 km linking Apulia to Normandy, visiting sites dedicated to the cult of St. Michael the Archangel. Among the most important and evocative destinations, there is definitely the rock Sanctuary of San Michele in Monte Laureto, in Putignano.
- Ingresso libero su prenotazione
- Strada Comunale Larussa c/o Ospedale San Michele in Monte Laureto - Putignano
- 368568754 per prenotare visita
Chiesa Santa Maria la Greca
It is said that the Church of Santa Maria La Greca existed outside the walls of the old town since 1365, when it was built by Greeks who lived in these lands. Its name was probably suggested by the Byzantine painting with the image of the Virgin kept in the church, which was taken to Putignano during the raids carried out by the Turks.
From 1743 the church underwent important renovations and it was consecrated at the end of the works, in 1522. A few decades later, the monument assumed its characteristic Greek cross shape. The facade,
which is richly decorated in the seventeenth-century Baroque style, is tripartite. The portal is framed by two Corinthian columns, whereas the other two doors are surmounted by oval windows. The bell tower was built in 1699.
- Via Santa Maria - Putignano